The AOBEM deems professionalism to be an important competency of an osteopathic physician, and that a candidate/diplomat must demonstrate professionalism at all times. The AOBEM will not tolerate unprofessional conduct on the part of any candidate or diplomat under any circumstance.
The AOBEM has adopted a policy to address unprofessional verbal or physical abuse by conduct, behavior, or word, either written or spoken, in any event or encounter with the AOBEM or its representatives. This behavior or conduct includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Use of foul, lewd, improper or culturally insensitive statements in a comment dialog box provided on computerized examinations.
- Use of foul, lewd, improper or culturally insensitive language in or near a testing site.
- Use of foul, lewd, improper or culturally insensitive language, actions, or behavior when addressing the AOBEM, an agent or employee of AOBEM in person, by telephone, by email or by written contact.
When AOBEM or its agents witness any such behavior, conduct or the use of language that is deemed unprofessional, the AOBEM at its sole discretion may take any action it deems appropriate, including but not limited to the following:
- Record the name of the candidate/diplomat, nature of the behavior or conduct and the time and conditions under which the behavior or conduct occurred.
- Notate the candidate/diplomat’s record to reflect the unprofessional conduct.
- As part of the quality assurance program, the AOBEM may record and store conversations or other documentation that are considered to be unprofessional.
- Record the punitive action, if any, to be taken against a candidate/diplomat.
Seek an opportunity to create a “teaching” and “learning” experience from such encounters of unprofessional conduct, behavior or use of language so as to benefit the candidate/diplomat.
Information relating to any irregular conduct or behavior of a candidate/diplomat and any action taken by the AOBEM in response to a candidate/diplomat’s irregular conduct or behavior may become part of the permanent record of the candidate maintained by the AOBEM. The AOBEM may in its sole discretion without notification to or permission of the candidate/diplomat release any or all of the candidate’s information or action taken by the AOBEM relating to the candidate/diplomat’s irregular conduct or behavior to any authority, agent of any authority or other persons or legal entities deemed appropriate by the AOBEM.